Ferrero Rocher’s is one my guilty pleasures in life. Stick a whole box of it in front of me and before you know it, it’s gone! Now this does not happen with sweets in general I have a very small sweet tooth. Sadly with the delicious mouthfuls of the chocolate comes at a steep price but I’m still guilty of purchasing them over and over again. It has been on my mind for a while to do something with a dessert replicating the taste of Ferrero Rocher. I had a few ideas to my head but since I never really tried a semifreddo before why not do it this time?
I was very happy with the layers desserts was announced for the sweet adventures blog hop, it’s my favourite style of desserts having layers. This dessert consists mostly of the hazelnut part with a thin layer of wafer. Sadly the taste does not translate well into pictures, I can’t seem to get it to look presentable such a shame. The semifreddo does remind you of a Ferrero Rocher but not quite there 100%. Either way I am quite happy with the taste of it and I will definitely make it again.
Recipe adapted from good food channel
15 vanilla wafers
1 cup of double cream
2 eggs with yolks and whites separated
½ cup of caster sugar
50grams cooking milk chocolate
50 grams of hazelnuts – crushed
½ teaspoon vanilla paste
1. Line your container with glad wrap.
2. Crushed the vanilla wafers until about 1-2cm in size (you can do this with a spoon). Place at the bottom of the container
3. Melt chocolate in microwave. For about 1 minute or until melted. Leave aside
4. Have 3 mixing bowls ready. 1 bowl with eggs yolks and sugar, 1 bowl with eggs whites and the last with double cream.
5. Beat the eggs whites until sniff peaks are formed. Beat the eggs yolks and sugar until pale and thicken. Lastly beat the double cream until it’s whipped.
6. Slowly fold the egg whites into the egg yolks. Once all mixed fold the double cream, hazelnuts, vanilla paste and chocolate. Make sure mixture is well combined.
7. Pour mixture into container. Place in the fridge overnight or until set.